Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Gumbo Saturday


It might be a good time to make a gumbo. The temperatures here have dipped down into the 40's and 50's and it's downright chilly at night.



I'll be in the kitchen hauling out my largest pot and sauteing some onions and bell peppers then adding some roux and a couple quarts of hot water to simmer for a few hours. The roux has to cook long enough to rid itself of the singed flour taste. Sausage and chicken I'll add at that time to cook till tender. I'm hungry for gumbo.

My head cold is kickin my butt. I've gone from an upper respiratory infection with a hacking cough to a post nasal sinus drip. I'm sneezing and snorting and now being sofa bound sounds desirable. I'll return later.
1400hrs:
I've watered the flowers and made it back into the house. It's time to elevate my foot for the next hours.
The Gumbo is done and is delicious. It has taken me years to get to the point where I can make a gumbo that tastes like what the natives make. I've enjoyed a bowl of it and now the remainder will be sent to the daughter's house. Gumbo is not the most calorie free food to eat often.
I see by the clock on the wall it's nap time here and I am on a tight schedule so I must hurry away less I miss it.

2 comments:

  1. Gumbo sounds good. I've never heard of it before. Are those all the ingredients you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gumbo is a Louisiana common food and it's simply wonderful. It's served over rice.
    The only other thing is the spices. Lots of garlic power and some Tabasco sauce and your're good to go. The secret is simmering the roux mixture for at least 2 hrs. before adding the sausage and chicken.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!