Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Up, Up, Out and About

Damnit! I couldn't get the darn wheelchair to collapse which it has to do to fit in my car. I shoved it back out of the doorway and grabbed the crutches. Making it to the car, I opened the door and pitched the crutches in and slid onto the seat then swung my feet in. I positioned myself so I could use my left foot for the brake pedal and the gas pedal, started the car and drove out of the carport as though I had done this a hundred times before; I have. This is the 5th time this leg has been out of commission. Two knee repairs, one broken ankle, one total knee replacement and now this heel surgery. I can drive a standard transmission using only my left leg if I have to and have done so in the past in my younger and foolish days.
First I drove to Pat's house as she is just down the street and around the corner where I chatted with her for a while then I drove to Breaux Bridge to visit with Peg. What a great day to be out driving. It's warm, the swamp road was dry and the egrets and alligators were both sunning themselves only not together. I was happy to be out and about and I drove slowly enjoying the scenery and just the fact that I was mobile. Maybe mobile only in that the car was moving. I'm happy with that. I'm moving. I've escaped, or at least it feels that way.
I was gone for a few hours and found that it was time to get home and find my position on the sofa with remote control in hand. I was tired from "crutching" it in and out of the car and to and from my friends' homes. A good trial run today but it was time for a rest and that's where you'll find me right now.
Note: no pain medications on board. Soreness noted to heel but no really severe or even moderate pain. Throat remains sore related to intubation during surgery.

2 comments:

  1. You are one hard-headed woman. That ain't necessarily a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buffalo: My husband says the same thing..about being hard headed but for some reason it never sounds like a compliment or something positive.(said with a devilish grin)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!