Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Healthy Me

Lobbyists, AMA (American Medical Assoc.) and the Republican Party that are against the health care reform bill have now compromised the reform to the point that I don't know what the Senate will be voting on soon. I thought it originally was a version of Medicare type coverage for all; with all the changes and shaving of coverage, I'm clueless as to what they are passing now for that bill.

I realize that some people don't believe health care is a right for all; watching your child die from lack of treatment might change your mind on this. Soon or maybe now, only the wealthy can afford health care and it gets more frightening not by the year but by the day. Withholding a luxury might anger some people; withholding health care is barbaric. We are the only industrialized nation that does not have universal health care. How did we come to this state of affairs? http://www.wvgazette.com/Opinion/Editorials/200909150272
Health coverage has been debated and fought for and against for years. See above link! Insurance companies are frightened that this bill will pass and deprive them of all the power they hold sway over the general public.
Right now I pay almost 500.00 a month for a policy that protects against catastrophic incident only. This means, I pay for all my medicines and all my doctors' visits and all diagnostic tests. The only coverage this policy provides is for hospitalization and all costs related to that inpatient visit. This is to protect against having to claim bankruptcy should one of us have to be admitted to a hospital. Catastrophic. A hospital stay, because of the astronomical costs would bankrupt most people. I could buy more coverage at the cost of 1300.00 a month.
How many working families can afford an insurance premium of 1300.00 a month? Yes, I'm watching with interest this health care reform. I'm watching for some change. Isn't that what our President campaigned on?

2 comments:

  1. I had to drop my coverage when the premium was raised to a hair under $700.00 a month - for me and me alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte,
    Thank you so much for passing by my blog and commenting.
    Have a lovely time
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!