Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

Me and My Stick

Origins
Walking sticks, started out as a necessary tool for the shepherd and traveler. A nice hefty stick was an excellent way to protect against thieves and to keep animals in line. Over time, the walking stick gradually began to be known as a symbol for power and strength, and eventually authority and social prestige. Rulers of many cultures, past and present, have carried some form of walking stick or staff
.



The above is the definition from Wikipedia. A symbol for power and strength? Why does it make me not feel powerful or strong. Maybe if I was carrying it for prestige but not when I'm using it to replace weight placed on my right knee. I should try for the dowager look. Long cape, upswept sprayed in place hair, big jewelry lots of mascara and a big hat? In my case, maybe I should just try for the sheppard look. A flock of sheep, a heavy wool coat and a beard. Ok, strike the beard. I don't want to have another problem to deal with.



February 3 is rushing right at me. Pre Op time. February is a short month which leads me right to March 2nd when I will have surgery. I'm curious to see if I can board a plane without having the metal detectors start alarming. Maybe I should start thinking about staying away from large magnets? I can see me getting sucked up and stuck and hanging by my knee which brings back visions from a James Bond movie when the villian got stuck to that magnet by all the grillwork on his teeth.

I'll have to check to see if it's titanium. I do believe that is the metal used; one more worry gone.



I have a list of all the wonderful things I can do post op. Walking is on the top of that list. I want to go on a walking vacation. I want to go on any vacation. That won't happen for a while. I'm sure it will be months before I have my normal strength back. That's something I expect; but at least it's the future. I can't start healing till I get it done.

1 comment:

  1. I THINK YOU WOULD LOOK DAMN PURTY WITH A BEARD..AND YOU SPELLED STRENGTH WRONG..SORRY.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!