Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Worth A Fig

Have you ever heard that expression? My grandparents used it when something was "not worth a fig" and I have no idea why. Figs are in season. I know you must be wondering where this is going so I'm going to tell you.



Dee (the neighbor) was blessed with a huge container of figs that her father thought she might enjoy. Dee wonders how much fig preserves one family needs for a year. She didn't want to make them into preserves so instead she decided to bake fig cakes for everyone she knew even if she only slightly knew you. I'm thinking she wanted to rid herself of these figs.



She delivered one to me and since I didn't know if I was going to like fig cake, I was a bit hesitant about even answering the door. I did and hauled it to the kitchen, took a small slice and let the goodness explode in my mouth! Who knew fig cake could taste so good? I had a few slices then took it to my daughter. I shared the few slices with Pat and her friends and suddenly everyone wants the recipe for the fig cake made by Dee.



So..here it is.


FIG CAKE

Cook figs in small amount of water with sugar till soft and mash SLIGHTLY.


Batter: MIX BY HAND...do not use electric mixer


2 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. salt

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup milk

1 tsp. vanilla

3 eggs

2 cups of the cooked mashed figs

Pecans optional



Mix all the dry ingrediants in one bowl.

Mix the oil, vanilla, milk and eggs in another bowl.

Blend both bowls together then add two cups of mashed figs.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour in greased and floured 13X9 pan, bundt cake pan, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. My figs should be ready in about a month, and I have so many I'm always on the lookout for recipes for them. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never ate a fig in my life and wouldn't even have known what they looked like. Now I know..and they are yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!