Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Shock Doctrine, Black Friday Not for Me

The Shock Doctrine. Look it up. Watch it on the "On Demand" channel. Buy the book. It's an eye opener to say the least.  I'll spend another 1.5 hrs watching it again. Curious? I'm sure our government depends on few of us to be that curious. It's how we roll here huh?
As the author says "this doctrine depends on the public not being aware of it for it to work."

So, what have I been up to today? I dug out a pair of sweat pants and a sweat shirt, a flattering combo for a day of scrubbing bathrooms, something I never got around to. I did get some things done and one was returning my purse camera back to where it was purchased. That camera allowed me to shoot two pictures then it gave me a recorded voice message warning of low battery. Huh? I tried everything. New batteries, freshly charged batteries and I kept getting that aggravating little voice and then the camera would die. Finally digging out the receipt and the box, I packed it back up and took it back to Walmart for an exchange. I have a large digital camera I use on trips. My "purse camera" is a small palm sized one that I carry in my...ta da...purse, hence the name.  It's only used for unplanned photo opportunities. It was time to rid myself of the useless one and try a different one.

The store was crowded but I'm sure that the black Friday traffic had dispersed with their treasures after running the gauntlet. I did the black Friday thing one time and came to realize there is nothing in this world worth that experience again. Ted and I got in line one morning at 0400 hrs. This was years ago when Ted thought this was a fun thing to do. I'm not sure waiting in the cold and following the herd through the door would excite him again. The trick is to stay upright and not slip and fall where you may be trampled to death. Sound like fun? But you can save a few bucks on those electronics. The hospital bill, should you fall, will negate any savings you might have made. Thank you, but I will be sitting safely on my sofa while you make that trip.

Those bathrooms are still awaiting my attention and since I'm still wearing that attractive sweat outfit, what better time then to get to it. Should you need me, follow the smell of Pine Sol. Gray sweatshirt, dark blue sweat pants. I won't be difficult to recognize. I'm the only one that does this chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!