Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Read to Me Baby

I could be in over my head. I watched these two videos (see below) and then we entered into something called "blends" and at that point I wanted to wave a white flag of surrender. To start with, I was never taught by using phonics. We didn't sound out words and I still don't read by sounding out words. Maybe I should be taking a reading class instead of trying to share my "old" knowledge of reading to this little one. I might cause more harm and make it more difficult on her when she enters school. I talked to daughter this morning about having her go to Head Start this coming year. We have agreed on that and now for the tonsil thing. I know one has nothing to do with the other but I want to have her tonsils out this summer along with her brother. They can share this experience together. What are siblings for but to support each other and moan and groan and share cold ice cream together. It will be a good bonding experience and sure to rack up some memories of their childhood. That 12 yr. age difference between them can be ignored when you are sharing a tonsillectomy together.

I've always believed that if you could read well you could do anything. Accomplish anything and be anything. It helps to be good in math too but we shall leave that alone for now. Reading is what I am focused on and I tend to be a bit obsessive and focused narrowly on what I'm interested in and that would be reading. Who knows. Tomorrow I might be more interested in her skills in finger painting. Ah, finger painting the alphabet? I need to back off. One thing at a time.

I think what inspired this was Carrie in her tub last night and her mentioning to me how she was "concentrating". When I asked her if she knew what that word meant, she nodded and I prodded her for the answer. She said "it means focused". Good enough. She's only 4yrs and her vocabulary is advanced or at least it seems so to me. I think she needs to be around other children her age and Head Start would provide her with time with children her own age instead of all the adults she hangs with now.

Maybe I can volunteer to be a classroom helper? The downside to this Head Start class for her is loosing control of what she learns and how she learns. It's at times like these that I wish we lived in a more liberal state. I'll survive. She can pledge allegiance and pray a prayer but I'll draw the line at denying evolution. How can you include "being a scientist" and deny evolution? I would prefer the prayer be kept at home and the sex education taught in school but that goes directly opposite to the beliefs here. Have I mentioned I don't live in a liberal state? I'm keeping a low profile and surviving.







and this wonderful site for learning phonics!
http://www.starfall.com/

1 comment:

  1. When I was a freshman in high school I taught one of my classmates how to read. He had been frequently ill during the first and second grade, thus missing the basics. Teachers passed him on every year even though he couldn't do the work. Had to start with the alphabet and build from there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!