Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Adventures in Cuisine

I had a plan yesterday and I slid into my car and eased out on the highway, the radio tuned to some rock and roll. Except for the music, it was quiet in the car. Carrie was home and I was out on my own for a while. My plans were to find a Lebanese cafe but instead I stopped at an Indian restaurant. Although it wasn't what I had in mind it still was a first for me. The food was quite tasty and I was a little surprised that I found it so.

Today after the bed was delivered and set up, my daughter, Carrie and I made it our goal to find a Greek/Lebanese type place to try. Within a few miles of the house we found just what we were looking for. We entered and were seated at a booth, menus were passed and drinks served. We ordered an appetizer sampler.
When it was delivered to our table we both viewed this platter of paste like substances. Should we have been in need of teeth, the pastes in front of us would have posed no obstacles to being consumed. A basket of golden brown pita bread rested in a metal wire basket to the side.
I have to say, it looked like food the hospitals served up to patients that can't chew or swallow whole food. The other odd thing was most of it appeared to be gray in color if gray can be considered a color. Babbaganouche, hummus, stuffed grape leaves, spinach pies with cheese, feta cheese and rice with lentils and a dressing like substance was arrayed on that platter. The spinach pie was awesome, the grape leaves leave a taste in my mouth as though I had swallowed paint and the babbaganouche left an aftertaste of something very sour and salty and saturated in garlic. The feta cheese was yummy and the rice and lentils were also good. Hummus? I could take it or leave it. It's not something that I will crave and have to search out a Lebanese cafe to indulge. I plan on making another visit and ordering a meal of which they had a large selection. I'm going to give it one more try minus anything with grape leaves. I really don't think I will ever think of this food in the same way that I do Asian food or Mexican food or the food of this region of the United States.
It was an interesting two days of culinary education. I'm craving a greasy cheeseburger and some crispy french fries. So much for an eclectic palate.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! Many happy returns and best of luck and health in the future year!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!