Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Blissfully Ignorant

The place? The Mile High City. Known to most as Denver, Colorado. I lived in Lakewood but worked in downtown Denver. The Security Life Building is a high rise with a glass elevator and a roof top restaurant. The restaurant boasts a 360 degree view of the city; the glass elevator and the view of the city draws many visitors to the Top O The Rockies Restaurant.

Some mornings if I was lucky enough to get to work early because I didn't become ensnared in any traffic jams or delayed because of an automobile that had connected metal to metal with another, I would ride the glass elevator to the Top O The Rockies and enjoy the view. Quietly I stood in front of those windows and gazed out to the mountains on one side, the city on the other. I liked this quiet time. I never took anyone up there with me; it was a special time and something I enjoyed doing alone.
One morning as I was standing there admiring the pinks, greens, blues and yellows that looked as if they had been layered softly atop each other with a distinctive line between each color I realized someone was standing beside me. I thought he was enjoying the horizontal rainbow of colors. I barely acknowledged him till I heard him say "a shame, all this pollution, huh?"
I turned to look at him, nodded my head and walked away. I never went back to the Top O The Rockies again to stand and look at the pretty colors that I didn't realize were pollution gases.
It's all in how you look at things. I was blissfully ignorant for a while. Then the bliss along with the ignorance was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!