Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Damn Scorcher

Another damn scorcher today. I don't envy anyone that has a job that takes them outside in this weather. How DID people survive without A/C? Oh wait. I know the answer to that. We didn't have A/C when I was a kid and I really don't know if any of our neighbors had A/C. Surely some of them must have huh?

Our cool air source was a huge fan reminisce of those huge fans you see in warehouses. Seven little bodies laid out in a half circle in front of this fan on a hot summer day trying to cool off. At night we flipped the pillow over for the cool side and a few moments of comfort. It didn't last long. The cool pillow soon became hot and it was flipped over again and again throughout the night. Windows were kept open; the screens keeping out most of the little flying critters dodging about in the night. Sometimes we would crawl out the window onto the roof and spend some time hoping for a breeze in the darkness while days not spent in front of the fan were spent in the cool water spots beneath the trees in a mountain stream. We survived those summers; I wouldn't want to do it again. I'm spoiled with air conditioning in the summer and a central heating system for the winter.
I shouldn't whine about the weather. I do have a/c in both the house and the car and I can be found in either of those places this summer.

I picked up everyone at the airport at the expected arrival time for a change. Carrie is spending the night with me while everyone else went to their home. She is wound up tonight so we are watching a movie before I plant her in bed. She hasn't stopped chattering since she got here. I'm tired and looking forward to my bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!