Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Me and My Ankle

At 10:30 AM I was in the podiatrist's office filling all the necessary paperwork and about 1 hr later and 320.oo less for this 20 minute visit, I was back on the street and headed for my car.

The verdict? An inflamed Achilles tendon. Alright, you might say, you already knew this and you would be right. Today an X Ray was taken and an explanation was offered. I have a bone spur behind that Achilles tendon and he said anyone over 40 yrs of age will show a bone spur on X Ray. He said I probably have had this for the past 20 years. "It didn't happen overnight", his words exactly. My problem is, I seen to have inflamed the tendon over it. I could have done this by doing all the stretches necessary to rehab this knee. Lovely! The stretches had to be done; I'll have to deal with the tendon now. A salve was prescribed and ice packs when I wasn't up on my feet and that business of being on my feet should be kept to a minimum. Open backed shoes with an elevated heel to stop the stretch of the tendon. NO EXERCISES. The tendon needs to rest to heal. I'm thinking those exercises my ortho doctor told me to do were not helping it but hindering it.

He said surgery was a last resort; removing the bone spur would entail detaching the tendon, cutting out the spur then reattaching the tendon and the recoup time would be two months on crutches. I'll take the other choice Doc. Ice and salves sound like a deal to me. I'm outta here to put some crushed ice in a zip loc and plant my foot deep inside.

Happy trials to you....

3 comments:

  1. About 15 years ago I developed a bone spur at the back of my right heel. Hurt like the devil. A buddy told me to drink three shots of apple cider vinegar everyday and the spur would go away. It worked for him, he claimed. Considering the alternatives, I decided to give it a try.

    Nasty stuff. It seemed to work though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buffalo: "How many weeks or days did you drink that vinegar?" she says as she is sipping some out of a wee shot glass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I recall, about 6 weeks. Seemed a lot longer.

    My buddy mixed his with orange juice. I found that made for nasty o.j. so I tossed it straight up. Seemed quicker.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!