Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Denahi and Kenai

"Kenai is shy and Denahi is a troublemaker. Everybody knows that!" she says to me in that tone of voice that says she thinks I'm a little on the slow side. I suppose she has told me this many times before and I should remember this.
They are her friends; they are always with her. Sometimes as I get ready to throw myself into a reclining position on the sofa I hear her scream "Watch out. You're going to sit on Denahi!" Sometimes it's Kenai and sometimes it's both of them that I almost annihilate. She calls them lover boys. Sometimes she is engaged to one of them. I'm amused. I worry.
I hear her from the kitchen talking to them while she is watching her cartoons in the living room. She explains things to them, she argues with them and she takes care of them. When something goes awry, it's not uncommon for her to blame that error on them. Friendship only goes so far I suppose. If you can dump your mistakes on your friends and they can't defend themselves, well then, so much the better.
Just today she was ready to go home to see her mom. She wanted someone to drive her there. We suggested Kenai drive her. She responded with "Well, you know he's not REAL!"
That answers one of the questions that had been haunting me of late. Was this healthy for her to have these two playmates? When she admitted they weren't real, I knew I had nothing to worry about. She has a healthy imagination. She is not hallucinating. She recognizes real from unreal and I can breathe easier now. I won't confront her with the reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!