Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

You did What Where??

Yesterday was a strange day. Earlier then was expected, Carl appeared at my doorstep ringing the doorbell. At the sound of the chimes echoing around the room, Carrie and I made it to the door and peaked out to see Carl waiting to be admitted.

It's 8:30 and usually Carl doesn't get here until 9AM or a little after. Sausage gravy and biscuits were brewing in the kitchen and Carl was invited to breakfast with Carrie and I. Moving onto 9AM I expected Carl to head to the attic and continue on with his job of laying insulation. First we moved to the patio to have an after breakfast smoke, then a few phone calls, another smoke and finally back into the house we came. This is the moment Carl says "man, I hate to think about going up there", meaning into the attic. I told him it was up to him if he wanted to work today. I was perfectly fine with it if he wanted to take the day off.

It was about this time that things got a little stranger. We moved the insulation from the carport to the attic stairs and while Carl stood in the attic, I handed up the bundles of insulation so we could store them up there. I expected Carl to say his goodbyes and we would arrange for another time to work. That didn't happen. Back to the patio for another phone call and another cigarette and then back into the house where he made himself comfortable in the big chair and a half. Carrie and I were on the sofa watching Sponge Bob as Carl nodded off to sleep. Did I miss something here? Eventually Carrie slipped away into sleep land and I quietly got up and made for the master bedroom where I placed a phone call to Ms. K.

I'm hiding out in the master bathroom speaking to Ms. K. and telling her what is going on. She was aghast. "Your handy man has made himself comfortable and is now sleeping?" she asked.
Yep, that is pretty much what is going on. I'm trying to figure out what happened and how we got to this place where the help is now staying all day. Finally I come upon a thought. His ex wife is working today and he wants to stay in town to see his daughter. Is he waiting for her to finish working for today and then will meet her at her apartment?

Daughter calls and says she is coming over and wants me to go somewhere with her. She arrives and I pick up my purse and walk over to the chair that is nestling Carl and I nudge his arm to tell him I'm leaving. At this time, I'm thinking he will say his goodbyes and be on his way.

He says "Ok, that's fine" and proceeds to go back to sleep. My daughter waited till we were outside and in her Jeep before she bellows forth with uncontained laughter. "Mom" she says, "what is he doing?" and to this I answered, "How the hell should I know!". I told her about the morning and she wanted to know how long he had been sleeping there.

We returned within 1/2 hr. and he was still here but awake now and watching the football game. I asked him if he was waiting for his ex to get home from her job and he said he was and that he had just talked to her and she was on her way to get their daughter so he would be leaving and he thanked me for letting him hang out here all day.

I have just spent my Sunday watching the handy man nap. I couldn't take a nap myself. What if he awoke and needed something? What if he decided to leave and there was no one awake to say "goodbye" to him. What if he had a axe to grind or bury in my skull? Ok, I might be veering way off course on that one. I'm sure Carl wouldn't harm a flea, a fly nor a hair on my head but having him hang out with me all Sunday wasn't in my plans either.

I may have to reconsider next weekend and how and who I want to spend it with.

1 comment:

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!