Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Just Some Sunshine Please

At least that was how my day started. I was up again at 4AM. I was up just in time to catch the storm that was blowing through here. The chimney stack was crackling and popping. I could barely see the trees whipping back and forth in the wind in the darkness and then the rain started. Before daybreak the storm had passed. Right now it's calm. Calm with loads of sunshine. A good day to paint which is what Fidel is doing right now. He hates to paint and usually that is my task.

All my usual tasks are on hold so I'm sitting inside with Carrie watching Tinkerbell.

I've never seen this one. I must have had a deprived childhood. I don't remember staying indoors and watching cartoons. Were Disney cartoons around when I was a child? I do remember the first time watching TV. The grandparents had a television and I can still remember seeing the sailboat on the waves.

Eventually my parents got a TV. TV in my parents home was for watching the evening news. My parents kept us too busy to sit around during the day watching TV. If we weren't busy with chores, we spent our time outdoors and in the woods.

The television memory leads me to the current day. A journey of technology with TV, cordless phones, then cell phones; typewriters to word processors to computers to internet and vinyls to 8 tracks to cassettes to CD's to Ipods; a journey I've witnessed in my lifetime. I can only imagine what the next 10 years will bring.

To close out my afternoon, Carrie came into the living room after spending only an hour for her nap. I called her over to me; she was distressed. As she got close, a sour smell wafted through the air. She had vomited; she was tearful and she needed a bath. I hate it when I get nauseated and vomit. I don't know why, but it makes me feel so defenseless. I figured she felt the same way so I held her as long as my nose could stand it, then we headed for the bathroom and a tub of water. I had to shampoo her hair and we did a fast bath. I dressed her in p.j.'s, put a movie on for her and spent the next hour holding her. She just wanted to be held.

She went home with her mother and I'm still doing linens. Maybe tomorrow we shall just have sunshine.

1 comment:

  1. We didn't have a television when I was growing up. Mom thought it was the works of the devil. She wouldn't allow an ouija board in the house either.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!