Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

We Are Very Proud of You

Maybe you take it for granted that your grown children will be there for you should you need them. Don't bank on it.

My daughter has been a rock through all the trying times lately related to my diagnosis. I hesitate to call it an illness as I don't feel "ill". I have a condition...a diagnosis of breast cancer and colon cancer, neither one exhibiting symptoms but found on exam.

Through all the tests, which seemed overwhelming and done while I was still in shock from the diagnosis, the daughter and husband have been there for me. The daughter insists she accompany me on every doctor's visit, every chemo run, every test performed and through all the surgeries and hospital time. My husband is very impressed with her dedication to my needs.

You may think I take her time and attention as a given. You would be wrong. Working in the medical profession and observing patients and family members, I can attest to the fact that some parents are ignored while struggling with an illness. Their children are just too busy to attend to them. I've seen it happen in my own family so I'm extremely appreciative of the daughter I have. Of her devotion to my well being. Of her protectiveness of me. Sometimes I have to reel her in a bit as she will quickly spring to a defensive mode on anything concerning other's treatment of me.

I'm dedicating this post to her. I could be writing the same things about the husband. They are both solid supporters and without them, I can't imagine what it would be like to go through this alone.

So to you both, I offer my humble thanks for being there for me. And to my daughter, I'm grateful that I have you and I love you very much.

1 comment:

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!