Pages

Friday, August 16, 2019

The Dental Experience

All that money in my lifetime that was invested in my teeth. The goal was to keep them.

My visit to the dentist 4 months ago did not end as I had expected. I was anticipating pouring more money into my mouth..a couple of inplants and I would be all fixed up. Not so. My dentist had other ideas. He advises against the expensive implants as the teeth were not stable and it would be investing more money into implants while other teeth were sure to go. Deep pockets, gum disease and unstable teeth and it was time to go another route. Tears streaming as he said it was not time to think about dentures. All these years he has tried to prepare me for this day. I thought I would be ready but apparently I wasn't.

We had the discussion. I don't want to have all the problems my friends and family complain about with dentures so I let him know that I wanted the implanted dentures. I left the office that day with a prescription for Halcyon and some antibiotics. In two weeks I would return all Halcyoned up...and the extractions of molars would begin meanwhile a care plan would be initiated with the costs detailed.

21,000.00. I wasn't too shocked. I had researched the cost of having this done and knew it wouldn't be cheap.

Two weeks later, and 1 hour before the appointment, I swallowed the Halcyon. I do not remember getting to the office nor getting in the chair nor any of what happened during the next hour. What a blessing! I'm a white knuckle dental patient and was not believing that Halcyon would be this effective. I'm a believer and already have my next dose for my next visit. Love me some Halcyon. Someone should have told me about this when I was having root canals and implants done!

My next visit was not supposed to be for 4 months as a bone graft was done on the first visit and a 4 month waiting period is needed to give the bone graft time to grow and fill the huge pocket from an old infection. I had to visit earlier then expected. A cavity was rocking my head; one that could not be repaired. A root canal would be necessary and neither the dentist nor I wanted to put that much money in a tooth that would be eventually extracted. Our plan? We pushed the extraction of the remaining teeth forward. An impression was made for the temporary denture that should arrive in two weeks. The remaining teeth will be extracted at that time and I will have to wear the temporary denture for a longer period of time. The bone graft will have to fill that space (4 months) and then the implants will be placed and those have to heal for 4 months. During this time I will be wearing the temporary dentures.

My dentist had warned me this would be a long process and would take patience and to just "hang with me" till we get you through this. It's one day, one month at a time right now.

My little cavity is being medicated with Orajel and hopefully we can move to the next step. The temporary dentures should arrive in two weeks and one week has already passed. I'll contact the hygienist next week for an update.

I'm not looking forward to the conventional dentures as most people I know are not happy with them. I've heard all kinds of stories on soreness, looseness and inability to chew. Hopefully this will be temporary and the implants will not offer these problems.

Updates to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!