Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

It's Been A While

Well, Good morning! I can't remember the last time I posted anything or what the last thing discussed on this blog.
I'm sitting here in an almost reclined position, my left foot elevated on a pillow per doctor's orders. Today marks seven days since surgery and seven days of being grounded. I'm not allowed to stand on that foot. No weight baring at all for six weeks so I have five more weeks of scooting around.

A friend loaned me a knee scooter which is now my main means of transportation. It's much easier then using crutches and I can sail quickly across the tile floors in this house. Getting into the bathrooms, which are small, is accessible with my little purple scooter. I have the laundry room sink set up to wash my hair in the double sink there. Toothpaste and toothbrush sit beside the single large stainless steel sink. The faucet at that sink pulls out and allows me to kneel on my scooter, lean in to the sink and wash and rinse my hair. The office bathroom is used for toileting and the hall bathroom for bathing. A shower chair dominates the tub where I can scooter in to it, and sit on the edge while pulling myself across it and into the tub. The shower head detaches allowing me to control the flow of water.  As soon as I get onto the shower chair, I use a white garbage bag to encase my cast. Getting the wound wet at this stage is a big no-no. Should that happen, I've been instructed to contact the surgeon's office ASAP. We don't want any chance of infection to occur and nasty stuff can grow in wet, warm and enclosed areas. A doctor's appointment has been scheduled for the 17th of this month. Hopefully the cast will be removed and a boot applied. I won't be allowed to walk but at least I can remove the boot for showers and when I'm not up and about on the scooter.

About that surgery thing. I had a retrocalcaneal  reduction with Achilles tendon repair. Basically another bone spur grew out the BACK of my heel into the Achilles tendon. The tendon has to be detached, the calcaneal  has to be shaved down which removes the spur and the Achilles has to be reattached.  A popliteal block was used during surgery which kept the leg from the knee to the foot totally numb for 24 hours. I had to take very little pain meds! 

 The Achilles has a poor blood supply so keeping it elevated is critical to decrease swelling so the area can get maximum blood flow for healing and I want this surgery to be successful. I had this same surgery a few years ago on the right foot. I'm sure there is a blog on here somewhere about it. 
Currently, I'm watching the Olympics and the election. Donald Trump provides a comedic view of politics and is most entertaining. I still believe, as I did at the beginning of his appearance on the political stage, this is all shtick. I find it hard to believe that this man really believes any of what he says. I've always thought he says outrageous things and tries to best himself in crudeness as a pawn of the Democratic party. I've always believed, also, that he works for the DNC. I believe that the blue collar workers have bought his act hook, line and sinker and that he is "one of them", this man that was raised so far away, above and beyond any blue collar worker; is clueless to their plight and their struggle. His lack of political correctness appeals to their base instincts..something I will never believe he actually lives but understands and preys upon that.

Today I pull myself away from my sofa; the anchor of my past week. I'll get a shower soon and get dressed. That sounds like such a menial task but to me it takes time and planning.
The click, click of my scooter as I roll around the house, maneuvering around the furniture, rolling forward, backward and sidling up to objects, announces my passage.  I'm out of here to start my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam posters. Leave a comment! It's nice to know you visited!